St. Mary’s Springs Academy is seeking a full time Counselor for grades 5th – 8th. The School Counselor is responsible for providing a comprehensive competency-based counseling program focused on the learning, social emotional and vocational needs of all students. The School Counselor recognizes, supports and promotes the mission of St. Mary’s Springs Academy and upholds the ethical and professional standards of the American School Counseling Association (ASCA) and other applicable professional counseling associations..
Experience, Education and Licensure/Certification:
- Masters Degree in School Counseling
- Current WI DPI certification in School Counseling (7054)
- Preferred experience counseling children and youth in a school setting
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish rapport and collaborate with students, staff, administration, families, community members and agencies
- Provide individual counseling and support to help students establish goals, promote social emotional learning and career planning
- Facilitate small groups for students with common specific needs for prevention, intervention or post-intervention purposes
- Provide classroom guidance lessons based on content themes that span the three domains of counseling: academic, social emotional, career exploration
- Promote equity, access, and academic success for every student
- Assist with the creation and monitoring of individual intervention plans as part of the Student Services Team and participate in Student Support Teamings (SSTs)
- Serve as a resource for positive universal behavior practices and an active member of the the Crisis Response Team
- Act as a liaison between the students, parents, faculty, staff, administration and the community when necessary
- Utilize effective interventions by applying culturally responsive, trauma-sensitive and evidence-based approaches that support student success within a multi-tiered system
- Collaborate with other SMSA counselors to maintain a comprehensive School Counseling Program and assist students when transitioning into different grade levels
- Adhere to school policies, procedures and administrative decisions found in the Faculty and Employee Handbook
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
SKILLS are required to perform multiple tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adhering to ethical and professional practices; operating standard office equipment using pertinent software applications; and preparing and maintaining accurate records.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math functions; write documents following prescribed formats; present information to others; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: basic instructional procedures and practices; safety practices and procedures; and conflict resolution.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities and work with a wide diversity of individuals; gather and/or collate data and utilize job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances and work with data utilizing defined but different processes. Problem-solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; communication with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; and working as part of a team.
All personnel, regardless of position, must understand and support the philosophy and mission of St. Mary’s Springs Academy. In addition, employees must follow the Milwaukee Archdiocese Code of Personal and Ethical Conduct which includes, but is not limited to, maintaining the highest standards of personal and professional conduct in conformity with the Gospel and teaching of the Roman Catholic Church.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities deemed necessary by management.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Friday, August 27, 2021 (2021-2022 school year)
Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest, resume, and a completed application (click here) to:
St. Mary’s Springs Academy
Attn: Carrie Wiza
255 County Road K
Fond du Lac, WI 54937 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX 920-322-1899.
Competitive benefits package including fifty percent tuition remission, health insurance, retirement benefits, etc. Benefits subject to eligibility criteria. Salary commensurate with experience.
Click here to download the job description.