Refresher: High School Virtual Learning Norms and Expectations
With no classes scheduled for Thursday, October 8th and Friday, October 9th, it may be a good time for our high school families to review the Expectations for Virtual Learners. It is a slide-deck summary of terms and norms for virtual learning on the Ledge. Expectations for students, parents and teachers are outlined clearly. Below find information from the document “Overview:”
- Daily activity for SMSA virtual learners may include a combination of synchronous and asynchronous instruction that may feature live instruction; recorded instruction; demonstrations or discussions; uploaded videos or activities; Google Classroom links, or links to key Internet resources.
- High school virtual learners will follow the same Block schedule of classmates that are engaged with in-person, on campus learning in the Student Block Schedule Fill In Template . On A-Day they will engage with their scheduled period 1-4 classes; On B-Day they will engage with their scheduled period 5-8 classes.
- Virtual learners shall be required to be online to check into class with their teachers at the beginning of each class period/block.
- If not online for a scheduled class, the virtual learner will be recorded as absent by the teacher.
- Like always, when an excused absence causes class to be missed, virtual students are fully responsible for recovering any missed notes, homework or assessments. Ledgers take responsibility for their own learning.
- Students may not unilaterally declare themselves as virtual learners, but must have parents contact the school update this intention.
- For virtual learners, grading will be the same as for students attending in person.
- Google Classroom and the Ledger Learning Guide SMSA Ledger Learning Guides Home Page. will be used to support learning goals, assignments and assessments.
- SMSA shall provide technology help desk support for all learners to ensure connectivity and access to online learning resources. firstname.lastname@example.org
Spirit Week is Coming!
SMSA Student Council and a committee of committed teachers have been making plans for an October “Spirit Week” that promises to help us celebrate our Ledger pride. Stay tuned for more details and a schedule of Spirit Week theme days in next week’s eLedger!
Ledger Learning Guide
Parents are encouraged to check the Ledger Learning Guide to keep updated on instructional expectations and course learning targets for their teens. The LLG can be found on the SMSA Website under the tab for Parent & Family Resources. We recommend that all parents bookmark the LLG landing page. For a direct link please click here.